
I yearn to put pen to paper or fingertips to keypads, and properly chronicle my time in the country, but I simply cannot. Maybe it's because I'm in a mild denial of sorts attempting or not attempting to process all that I saw, did, and felt during my time there. I know most assurdly this is for certain, I came home a changed person. The joy that comes from that is immense. Yet, my heart aches in memory of my time there, and tears find their way dancing down my cheek with each thought of time spent there.

I originally wrote this as part of a blog post for my team in Haiti.

Twenty hours spent in the bed of trucks, buses, and unconditioned vehicles. Rumbling down dusty roads for nine days of nomadic wonder. Enduring through six days of violent and undesirable sickness, not to mention a lovely five day span without bathing. Needless to say, all of this was followed by endless moments of weakness, frustration, and perhaps a time or two of wild panic. One could say our dynamic team of nine has been through it all. We've gone days on bread and peanut butter alone (I like to argue this is completely out of choice and love for peanut butter), slept on ant and cockroach covered cement porches while the rain pounded ferociously outside, and heard a never-ending, far too catchy techno rendition of a Black Eyed Peas favorite. We've faced trials, and we've most assuredly struggled- both in vain and in perseverance.

Through our hardships, we've been blessed far more than words can express. We've been to the mountaintop and had our breath stolen by the beauty of God's artistry. We've cupped innocence in our hands through the lives of Haitian children who care not about the lack of language we speak, but the joy we bring. We've sat with mothers and daughters underneath mango trees and giggled at things unexplained. We've danced with new found friends, both young and old, their joy and laughter infectious beyond comparison. We've cried through the pain of hearts at work. We've learned about the work of the body, the hardships of perseverance and the heart of community. We've sung sweet melodious songs of praise, and hands held high in worship. We've loved out of a pure and honest compassion.

One cannot measure the hand of the Lord at work in our lives by our endless travels and circumstances, nor can the blessing be counted. Through the many blessings and challenges our team has faced, I am reminded of a powerful scripture that speaks on character. "For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything." (James 1:2-4)

Out of twenty hours of travel, days spent on the road, and baths not taken… our character is being molded and that in and of itself is perhaps the greatest blessing yet.

Haiti, your memory is fresh in my mind always:) Thank you Lord for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment