Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spring Awakening..

It's no surprise that I love theater. And musical theater? Did you not read about my overwhelming obsession with Chicago? Not to mention Glee, the most unhealthy obsession of my life. Thursday evening I had the distinct pleasure of joining some of my favorite bible study girls on a little theater date to see the Broadway play Spring Awakening. The obsession with musicals was further fueled by a simple 3 hour production. The play,raw and edgy alike, can be somewhat controversial, yet equally irresistible. With a background of catchy Duncan Sheik melodies, a deep and thought provoking insight to a fictional but perhaps true Victorian German society that foolishly believed it was far better to omit and suppress the mounting sexual truths of teenagers than to embrace and educate. While graphic in both topic and nature (beware of the two bs-butt and boob-when seeing this play, they are both, well, front and center), it's soundtrack serves as its hook, graping aloud of you, creeping inside your head, where it won't escape for nearly a week. While the topic is controversial, some of the scenes uncomfortable, and calls for a mature audience, the play is truly fantastic and you may now appropriately call me a Guilty One, because I am in love. Enjoy this little snippet I fond online.

Did you notice someone familiar in there? Could have been none other than Rachel Berry from Glee. Yes that Glee. My other, unhealthy obsession, the true mecca for music lovers on television. Here I am doing my best gleek imperatination..Here I am attempting to do my best Rachel impression...it should look like this..

No comments: