Monday, August 31, 2009

My Sister's Keeper.....

I finally finished it (yes, unfortunately it's taken me all summer to read it, but I have to blame a certain Edward Cullen for that one). I must confess that what appealed to me about this novel wasn't Piccolt's strange cult following, but instead the Hollywood glitz and glamour of what was supposed to be a summer blockbuster. Not to be outside the know, I challenged myself to complete the novel by the films premiere. The novel originally was difficult to dive in and fall in love with, as the challenge quickly transitioned from a speedy completion to an overall completion in general. Enter Captain audio book to save the day. What appeared to be a rejected collection of monologues for a weak theater student's anxious audition quickly turned into a soul wrenching novel of a child's plea to be heard among a life of pain and chaos. The novel centers around a family who's world is turned upside upon discovering that their young child has leukemia, a pivotal moment in their lives as the family, as every decision and choice made after that point is more than the simplicity of that single yet powerful word. The need for choice and understanding overwhelms each individual of the novel, yet in the end proves to exactly that a choice. I loved this novel, and fell deeply in love with the charm that is Piccolt. I've heard the rumblings that the film and novel end drastically different, which has peaked my curiosity to no end to see the film. If you haven't seen either, I do recommend at least one, as the underlying story is stirring.

No comments: