When I think of fall, of course like everyone else I think of leaves, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. I also think of the movies Stepmom, Runaway Bride, and Remember the Titans. I think of my childhood obsession with my little red riding hood Halloween costume that I wore not once, not twice, no but four years in a row. I think of the warm apple cider served during the Ghost Tales at the National Storytelling Festival in Tennessee, the festival my parents took me to for several years of my childhood, specifically to mark the start of the fall season. I think of fall festivals at school, of pumpkin carving nights, of scary haunted houses with friends. I think of the fun Halloween parties thrown in middle and high school, of trick or treating with friends beyond an approiate age.
I think of playing the wicked witch in local children's theater fall production of the Wizard of Oz. I think of the crisp change in the air. I think of the lovely scarves I found in China Town with Kelly Bischoff while visiting NYC for fall break. I think of classic scary movies. I think of first boy girl parties. I think of Sunday afternoons spent watching Carolina Panthers play ball, of tailgating at the big game. I think of silly costumes. I think of visits from old friends. I think of things slowing down, the calmness that embraces the season. I think of the first hot chocolate. I think of pumpkin pie. I think of candy corn. I think of sleepovers with childhood friends, spent baking brownies and giggling about things. I think of warm blankets, that favorite hoodie. I think of orange, yellow, and red everywhere you turn. I think of Pumpkin Spice lattes from Starbucks. I think of Charlie Brown. I think of innocence. I think of family. I think of laughter. I think of the joy that the season brings, only to be followed by an even bigger season of joy.
With the simple thought of fall, my face unconsciously erupts into a smile. In many ways I feel saddened that this wonderful season comes to an a end, a rather quick end for me. At the very same time, I can't help but to think of all the wonderful holiday memories I have from childhood and beyond that make the Christmas season so very bright and wonderful. Of course that stroll down memory lane will come another day. But today, I'm simply saying goodbye to an old childhood friend, Fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment