The Diving Bell and The Butterfly...
My theory on foreign films is either you love them or you hate them, you simply cannot ride the fence on this one. Much like my love for independent feature films, so is my love for foreign films, especially french films. Perhaps it's my ironic yet deep passion for all things French and Parisian (ironic in the sense that I was a Spanish major), but I'm drawn to films that are so far from what most audiences view, and The Diving Bell and The Butterfly was no disappointment.
Upon watching the film, my curiosity peaked on the underlying truths and validity of this story, and much a google research provided me with this little tid bit of information. The film is actually an adaptation of a memoir written by a man by the name of Jean-Dominique Bauby. Bauby, an Elle magazine editor, suffered a massive stroke that left him paralyzed and unable to speak. Yet through the blinking of an eye, Bauby was able to dictate his life story, as he describes and declares that, "other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory." The film, I'll admit, is rather slow in progress, but patience is a virtue as a beautiful tale is told of the value of a life well appreciated. I highly recommend it for the cultured movie buff.
Here is a trailer of the film.
No comments:
Post a Comment